|El Presidio de Santa Bárbara State Historic Park
Founded April 21, 1782, the Santa Barbara Royal Presidio was the last in a chain of four military fortresses built by the Spanish along the coast of Alta California, then a wilderness frontier. Others had been established at San Diego, San Francisco and Monterey. Padre Junípero Serra, well known for his leadership in founding the California missions, blessed the site of the Santa Barbara Presidio four years prior to the establishment of the Mission of Santa Barbara in 1786. El Presidio de Santa Bárbara State Historic Park encompasses much of the original Presidio site and is located in modern downtown Santa Barbara at the intersection of Santa Barbara and East Canon Perdido Streets.
The whitewashed buildings were constructed of sun-dried adobe bricks laid upon foundations of sandstone boulders. Timbers from Los Padres forest supported roofs of red tile. The buildings of the Presidio formed a quadrangle enclosing a central parade ground, the whole surrounded by an outer defense wall with two cannon bastions. The most prominent structure was the Chapel, Santa Barbara's first church for its townspeople. The Christianized Indian population worshipped at the mission.
Plan Your Visit
Location: 123 East Canon Perdido Street, Santa Barbara, CA
California State Parks
The Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation (SBTHP) enjoys a unique partnership with the State of California Department of Parks and Recreation. Preservation activist and leading citizen Pearl Chase, founder of SBTHP, recognized early on that harnessing the power of State Parks would speed the reconstruction of El Presidio, and would provide the kinds of resources the fledgling SBTHP needed in its efforts to restore and rebuild the birthplace of Santa Barbara. In 1966 El Presidio became a State Historic Park and a series of multi-year agreements between the two parties led to the passage in 1988 by the California State Legislature of formal enabling legislation authorizing the Department to enter into an operating agreement with SBTHP. During this time period, in addition to staffing and maintaining the Park, SBTHP has raised funds for and carried out numerous projects—including major archaeological excavations, historical reconstructions, museum installations and ongoing education programs for the benefit of the citizens of California and visitors to the Park from throughout the world. SBTHP and State Parks look forward to many more years of symbiotic association.
|El Presidio de Santa Bárbara State Historic Park • Casa de la Guerra • Santa Inés Mission Mills • Jimmy’s Oriental Gardens
123 East Canon Perdido Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101 • (805) 965-0093 • FAX (805) 568-1999 • www.sbthp.org
|© 2010 Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation, a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization. JAB Design|